The Department of Ancient History, Faculty of History, University of Warsaw invites applications for a postdoctoral researcher to join the project “Epigraphy in the Early Byzantine Middle East” (NCN, grant Sonata). The position is for the 2023/2024 academic year.
The researcher will
- Process the epigraphical data from 145 sites according to the EpiDoc (TEI XML) standards, based on the ready materials collected by the team
- Integrate the collected datasets with a relational database, using digital solutions developed within the project, tagging, geopositioning and other forms of processing the records in the relational database
- Participate in the analysis of the evidence collected
- Submit of at least one paper to a high-ranking international journal, discussing the differences between the use of Aramaic inscriptions in the public space in the Hellenistic/Roman period and Late Antiquity
- Participate in the dissemination of the news on the progress of the project in social media
- Participate in the weekly team meetings (in person or via video communicators) discussing the work progress
- Ph.D. degree in the field of history, archaeology, literature or linguistic studies with a specialization in ancient history or classical philology, or a declaration that the candidate is expected to hold a Ph.D. on 1 October 2023). Ph.D. diploma cannot be issued earlier than 7 years before 1 October 2023 and must be issued by a different institution than the University of Warsaw.
- Experience with research on inscriptions, documented by relevant publications, especially regarding the functions and placement of inscriptions in the public space.
- Basic knowledge of TEI XML editors, and the EpiDoc standards.
- Modern languages: fluency in English, and ability to read in French, German, and Italian are necessary.