Jill Caskey, Adam S. Cohen, and Linda Safran. Art and Architecture of the Middle Ages: Exploring a Connected World. Cornell University Press, 2023.
From Cornell University Press
Art and Architecture of the Middle Ages is a panoramic survey that focuses on the arts of medieval Europe, Byzantium, and the Islamicate world. From majestic monuments to exquisite tableware, Jill Caskey, Adam S. Cohen, and Linda Safran deftly guide readers over twelve centuries of art and architecture created by the diverse peoples and religious groups of western Eurasia and North Africa.
This textbook, intended for a wide range of courses in the history of medieval art and architecture, uniquely features:
- More than 450 color illustrations of fascinating works produced between ca. 250 CE and ca. 1450 CE
- Coverage of secular and religious arts, including polytheistic, Zoroastrian, Jewish, Christian, and Islamic traditions
- Informational text boxes on key issues and a glossary of terms
- Diverse cultures interwoven in a single chronological framework
- Five broad interpretive themes—artistic production, status and identity, connection to the past, ideology, and access to the sacred
Complemented by a website (artofthemiddleages.com) with additional works, dynamic maps and timelines, podcasts, new primary-source translations, and more, Art and Architecture of the Middle Ages brilliantly expands and recalibrates the story of medieval art history.