Palaeologan Reflections in the Art of Cyprus (1261–1489), Archbishop Makarios III Foundation, Nicosia, January 30–July 30, 2019
Following the celebration of the “European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018” the Archbishop Makarios III Foundation and Cyprus Tourism Organization present the thematic exhibition “Palaeologan Reflections in the Art of Cyprus (1261-1489)”. The exhibition aims to highlight the impact of Constantinople laying emphasis on the leading role of the Palaeologan art in Latin-occupied Cyprus. It illustrates the evolution of the technique and style of the icons produced during the Latin Rule from 1261 to 1489 in the context of the new sociohistorical and politico-religious circumstances that prevailed on the island throughout that period.
The exhibition serves as a continuation of its forerunner “Κυπριακώ τω τρόπω – Maniera Cypria” (Jan. 2017-Jan. 28, 2018). Through the research of the collected material and monuments with mural decoration it becomes manifest that during the 13th century, but also over the ensuing two centuries, the art of Cyprus, even though it reproduces the style of the 12th century, simultaneously imports into the island the high art of the Palaeologues. The new style, the so-called “Palaeologan Renaissance” is marked by the effort to depict the psychological disposition and the volume of the figures, the modelling of faces with gradual transition of tones, the harmonious combination of brilliant colours and the soft modelling of the garments’ drapery.
For the purposes of the exhibition more than 50 works of religious art (icons, wall paintings, manuscripts and artefacts of minor arts) have been put together that reflect the transplant of this new tendency in style of the Capital to the island, whereas at the same time influences from the West are also documented. The works on display come from the collections of the Byzantine Museum of the Archbishop Makarios III Foundation, the Archbishopric district, the Holy Bishopric of Limassol and the Holy Monastery of Saint Neophytos at Tala in Paphos.
The exhibition is accompanied by an illustrated bilingual (Greek – English) catalogue with contributions by the professors of byzantine studies and scholars Michele Bacci, Dimitrios Triantaphyllopoulos, Charalambos Chotzakoglou, Elizabeth Yota, Chrysovalantis Kyriacou, Christodoulos Chatizichristodoulou, Andreas Jakovljevic and Ioannis Eliades, who curated the exhibition and edited the catalogue.