The Faculty of History at the University of Cambridge invites applications for Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellowships in History. The deadline for applications is 12pm (noon) on Wednesday 14 December 2022. The Faculty will put forward shortlisted candidates to the Isaac Newton Trust for match funding as required by the Leverhulme Trust Early Career Fellowship scheme.
We are delighted to consider applications in all fields of history. Potential candidates should first contact a suitable academic host from among our existing staff.
- Applicants must not yet have held a full-time permanent academic post in a UK university or comparable UK institution, nor may Fellows hold such a post concurrently with the Early Career Fellowship. The Trust will consider applications from candidates whose permanent post does not include any research.
- Those in receipt of a stipendiary Fellowship may not hold this at the same time as an Early Career Fellowship.
- Applicants who have existing funding in place for a duration equivalent to or greater than the duration of the Early Career Fellowship should not apply.
- All candidates must hold a doctorate by the time they take up the Fellowship.
- Those who are or have been registered for a doctorate at any time may apply only if they have submitted their doctoral thesis for viva voce examination by 4pm on the closing date of 23 February 2023.
- All candidates must have submitted their doctoral thesis for viva voce examination not more than four years prior to the application closing date. Hence those who formally submitted their doctoral thesis for viva voce examination before 23 February 2019 are not eligible unless they have since had a career break.
- Applicants must either hold a degree (any degree) from a UK higher education institution at the time of taking up the Fellowship or at the time of the application deadline must hold an academic position in the UK (e.g. fixed-term lectureship, fellowship) which commenced no less than 4 months prior to the closing date. Hence, those who do not hold a UK degree and whose UK academic position commenced after October 2022 are not eligible.